Here is a recipe for Christmas amaretti. The working time is about 3 hours including cooling time and baking.Depending on how big you form the cookies, you will get about 20 pieces.
What you need:
- 300g ground almonds
- 3 egg whites
- 140g powdered sugar + some powdered sugar for dusting
- 160g chestnut cream (crème de marrons)
- 1 vanilla pod
- Almonds for garnishing
- Put the ground almonds and the powdered sugar in a bowl and mix well with a whisk. Then form a well and pour in the egg whites. Mix it with a part of the almond/sugar mixture until a uniform mass is obtained. Then add the chestnut cream and the scraped out pulp of the vanilla bean. Mix everything together until you have a dough. Cover the dough in the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours.
- Form the chilled dough into small balls (about 30g) and roll them in powdered sugar. Then place the balls on a baking tray lined with baking paper and flatten them slightly. Finally, press an almond into each cookie.
- Place the cookies on the middle shelf of the oven and bake at 170 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Allow the finished amaretti to cool and then store in a box or wrap in sachets for gift giving.